It’s been a thing for a while now …getting your “word” for the New Year. I love hearing the word others have felt led to move toward or embrace as their own mantra for the coming year. I’ve read on-line author/bloggers post about their word as well as personal friends of mine share their “revealed” word.
I thought we could talk about that for a minute here.
First of all, if you don’t have a word yet — or you never, ever get one — don’t worry! It’s really okay. You won’t be put “on the shelf”– never to be used by God again. There’s no shame in it. You’re one of a million others who don’t have one either. No guilt. No condemnation here.
Secondly, if you have one, don’t worry that you’re just jumping on a band wagon and following the crowd. It’s okay too! You’re good here. You’re good everywhere.
The bottom line …you’re in good company wherever you are on this word thing.
I personally complicate the process by hearing too many words. I might hear a word for today and another one a few days from now. Even more complicating is the problem I have with too many words in a series and before you know it, I’ve got a whole blog-post full of words–but I digress!
But for those of you who want to embrace a word for this year, I thought I’d offer some practical help as you walk this word out.
- Pray about it. Ask God to reveal any word or phrase we need to embrace and move toward.
- Listen for the Holy Spirit’s nudge ( or shove !) for a word to walk into this year and don’t worry if nothing significant comes to mind. It’s O.Kay. Really!
- Do a word search in the Bible and in good books about that word. Also consider other forms of that word (e.g. strength, strengthen, power). Journal. Journal. Journal!
- Write it out and post it in places you see regularly.
- Pray about it some more and ask God to deepen this thing in your heart or stretch you more toward this reality in your every day life. Journal. Journal. Journal!
- Look for it everywhere you go. Anticipate this thought or word showing up in conversation, printed material, media, nature, etc. For example, when God showed me hearts everywhere to remind me how much He loves me and wants me to share His love with others, I began to look for hearts everywhere. I still find them …everywhere!
- Take baby steps every day to LIVE. IT. OUT. Don’t waste the word. Do something with it.
Now, to help you put this word in front of you every day, I’m sharing one of my favorite tools of all time … canva.com . The people at Canva make it so fun and easy to design your own graphic or add text to picture, etc. You can upload your own photos for a more personalized design or use one of their many free templates. It’s free to sign up and free to continue use with their basic plan. If you’d like even more options, they offer a paid-for premium version.
Based on conversations I’ve had with friends recently, I’m sharing 3 designs based on their “word for the year” to give you an idea of what you can do. Slight warning …it’s a little addicting. I love using Canva and use it on many of the post you see here on A Life-giving Moment. So you may thank me or fuss at me later but I’m taking the chance. 🙂
So grab your word. Grab some Scripture or good quotes throughout the year. Write it out. Print it out. And most importantly …live it out!
Happy New Year, my friend, and may your word grow into a way of life.
And watch for an upcoming post on some words the Spirit is speaking into my life for this year …
Special thanks to my friends, Karen Schrock, Wendy Booth and Anne Wright for sharing their word!